Dunnings Bridge Road, A59, Maghull

OS 1937-61
Modern Map
Date opened/built:



2.5 miles (4kms).


9-ft (2.74m).

Adjoining footway:


Road type:

Urban main road.


Asphalt today.

Both sides of road:


Adjacent to social housing:


Period mapping:

OS Six inch revised 1938, published 1944 https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103500 Shows width of road but no cycle tracks. OS 25-inch revised 1939, published 1946 https://maps.nls.uk/view/126522107 Shows service roads until Boundary Road where narrower cycle tracks take over.

OpenCycleMap status:

https://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=16&lat=53.48194&lon=-2.96442&layers=B0000 Cycleways shown on both sides of road except for between Park Lane West and Heysham Road.


Period maps, newspaper reports.


Litherland to Switch Island cycle ride by “TheSadCyclist”: https://youtu.be/zLjl6doqWWU

Dunnings Bridge Road, A59.

The first stretch of the Litherland to Maghull Highway was opened by Minister of Transport Leslie Hore-Belisha on 4 December 1934, by which time the Great West Road had been retrofitted with cycle tracks so perhaps his seeing this road without such tracks spurred the local authority to add them?

Add them they did. By 1938 the Dunnings Bridge Road part of the highway was a “2.5 miles dual roadway with cycle tracks,” reported the Liverpool Echo on the highway’s opening day, 19 July, 1938.

Couple walking on the footway next to the cycle track beside Dunnings Bridge Road. Liverpool Echo, 19 July 1938.

The ribbon was cut by the Earl of Sefton (the road crossed his land, which he donated to the council), added the newspaper.

“Just beyond Maghull … we came upon sample of the much discussed cycle tracks,” wrote ‘Wingnuts,’ a local newspaper’s cycling correspondent before the road’s official opening.

“Opinions on the usefulness or otherwise of these appeared to vary,” continued the writer, “[but we] seemed to be of the opinion that the way in which we were disgorged back into the main flow of traffic was suicidal and was in great need of reconsideration.”

However, for National Clarion Cycling Club touring cyclist Mr. W. Aldred, the cycle track was “perfect.”

A month after the road was opened he told the Nelson Leader that “if all cycle paths could be like these I would be satisfied.”

The cycle tracks on the road were, he said, “found to be well nigh perfect, being wide, good surfaced paths, and on both sides of the road.”


By 1938 the Dunnings Bridge Road ... Liverpool Echo, 19 July 1938.

The ribbon was cut by ... Liverpool Echo, 20 February 1936.

“Opinions on the ... Clitheroe Advertiser and Times, 24 March 1939.

The cycle tracks on ... Nelson Leader, 5 August 1938.

Explore the tracks